Weekly Rundown

This week was a bit different. When one does something for a consistent period–like exercising 6 days a week 52 weeks a year–eventually one gets burned out. Even with cross training and flexible scheduling.

This past week was it for me. I did a some yoga, probably 3 times for 15 to 20 minutes each. And, yeah, that was about it. The heavy work schedule I picked up last week probably didn’t help. But, in all honesty, this happens at least once a year.

I am ok with it. We need to give ourselves the ability to say, “I don’t just want to do that.” It is like being physically injured; you need to give yourself some time to heal. If we push through a period like that, then, just like being injured, it will cause problems further down the line.  But if we just take the dang week off, we will be rearing to go the following week.

There were two days that are actually worth writing about:

Saturday: 15,000+ steps. The hospital is quite concerned with the health of its employees, and one thing they do for us is give us all a pedometer. Its nice, has a clock and uploads to our computers. It’s also addictive. How many steps today? How can I get more?? Generally, working an 8-hr day and all my stuff at home, I get 6,000-7,000 steps in. So Saturday was a lot.  I got most of those in by unloading a trailer of wood and stacking it down by the end of the driveway so we can sell it. And then restacking after one of my ends gave way. Stupid cinderblocks! After that (and a nap, I can admit it), I took CR out to the roundpen and did some lunging and ground work.

Sunday: 19,000 steps. Yeah, I can be an overachiever. More wood, plus some cleaning around the exterior of the house. It is getting chilly here at night (30’s F), so we are in the process of getting the house ready for winter. My mare, Charby, has developed an abscess in her foot. I got the fun job of soaking her foot in hot soapy water while she was eating her morning hay. She spilled it twice, so I got some steps in going back to the house for more hot water.  I put some grain on her hay and she stayed in one place (I do learn from my mistakes! In the evening, I even brought extra hot water 🙂 ). She was so funny, she kept sniffing her foot in the bucket.  I don’t know if she was trying to figure out what I was doing, or if she thought there was food in the bucket and wondered why her foot was in the food.  I rode CR afterwards. It was the first time I had ridden him in a couple of weeks–thus the groundwork yesterday. He was awesome. He did give me some ponish tricks, but he nicely let me outsmart him. The weather outside is perfect right now–no flies, not too hot and the air feels so fresh. I do love Fall.

3 thoughts on “Weekly Rundown

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s